A large percentage of teens and even adults in the US are seeking orthodontic treatment. Most of these individuals are using braces to correct several teeth disorders. Patients seek out orthodontic treatment for various reasons. Teeth straightening is a general, orthodontic procedure. According to medical experts, one can consider having braces from the age of 7 the range then goes ahead to adults. This is the most appropriate age for an orthodontist to locate problems that might lead to using braces in the future.
Adults seeking to undergo orthodontic treatment need to pay a visit to their dentist for advice on available treatment options. Any orthodontic treatment starts with a visual examination where the doctor takes a look at your teeth and advises you accordingly. If further treatment is needed the dentist goes ahead and provides the patients with available treatment options; this takes place only if the patient consents to the procedure. Most individuals who pay a visit to an orthodontist are usually referred to them by their dentist.
Orthodontic treatment takes place in three main stages. These stages are:
- Planning stage: It involves visiting the orthodontist who will examine your teeth. this has already been discussed above. In this stage the patient is required to narrate their medical history, then the dentist takes photographs and x-rays of the patient’s teeth. An orthodontist when then provide the patient with appliances made to fit the problem at hand.
- Active stage: In this stage, the patient has to visit their orthodontist daily; this ensures that the treatment is a success. Regular visits allow the orthodontist to adjust the custom-made appliance to ensure that the procedure is going according to plan.
- Retention stage: Once the diagnostic is complete, the appliance has to be removed from the patient’s teeth. A better teeth straightener is then made to make sure that the changes presented by the braces remain intact. The retention time varies from one patient to another as per the teeth problem at hand.
Reasons for orthodontic treatment
A child, teen or an adult might require braces for one of the reasons below:
- Crowding of teeth – some individuals have many teeth than the amount necessary causing crowding of teeth in the mouth. Some of these teeth need to be removed to have the average number of teeth an adult or child requires
- Crossbite – this is when some of the teeth on the upper jaw fit into gaps on the lower jaw. In this case, one should seek orthodontic treatment.
- Overbite -this occur when some teeth on the lower jaw bite on to the gums of the upper jaw.
- Less or more teeth – one might have fewer teeth due to injuries or tooth decay. Some individuals’ problems are inherited
- Protruding teeth – this usually affects teeth on the upper jaw. They are longer than intended meaning the lower jaw has short teeth.
Several situations might require one to visit an orthodontist. The mentioned are some of the teeth related problems that require orthodontic treatment. Orthodontic treatment helps in improving one’s oral health and smile.